Global Science School 'Top of the Class' at SCDI Celebration of Engineering and Science Awards
Over six hundred young engineers, scientists, teachers and companies from schools all over Scotland enjoyed an action-packed day at the annual Celebration of Engineering and Science event which was held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel and Glasgow Science Centre on 19 June 2009.
The event saw fierce competition from over 50 clubs which show cased their engineering activities and competed in exciting three-minute technology challenges set by 28 members. Clubs also took part in hands-on science experiments provided by the Institute of Physics and enjoyed a visit from NASA Astronauts.
Scotland East Region where Global Science operates did extremely well with the following schools receiving 6 of the 12 awards on the day.
These schools included:
- Simpson Primary School from Bathgate won the Primary School Technology Challenge Award
- Hawick High School won the Secondary School Technology Challenge.
- Newlands Primary, Borders, were the Primary School Showcase winners
- The Dr Swanston Memorial Prize for Outstanding Individual Achievement went to Greig Farrell from Galashiels Academy
- Award for Design Innovation and presentation went to Grant Walker, Merchiston Castle School Edinburgh
- Award for Manufacture and Finish was presented to Ruaridh Rafferty, Merchiston Castle School Edinburgh
To learn more about Global Science please visit the web site at http://www.global-science.net/.